Diamond jewelry is associated with love, affection, and abundance. Buying diamond jewelry made of conflict-free diamonds ensures that the persons who toiled to extract it from the earth were not harmed or hurt in any way. It raises the value of diamonds in the eyes of the recipient and a feel-good feeling in yourself.
So, how can we be sure of buying conflict-free diamonds and where to buy them? Let us delve deeper into this and reach a solution in the article below.
What are Conflict-Free Diamonds?
Conflict-free diamonds simply mean the diamonds mined from peaceful areas where the law of land exists. The diamonds are extracted in favorable conditions. No workers are forced and enslaved to mine the diamonds. The workers are paid fair wages and not exploited. Further, the proceeds from the diamonds are not used to finance any civil war or terrorist activities. If all these conditions are met, then only diamonds will be certified as conflict-free.
Diamond Mining Areas
Major diamond mining areas of the world include Botswana, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Zimbabwe, and DRC from Africa, and Australia, Canada, and Russia. Of these, diamonds from Nigeria, Botswana, Australia, and Canada are considered conflict-free diamonds.
Diamonds are found deep into the earth in ancient kimberlite formations and also in river beds and ocean floors. Diamonds are extracted from the earth by digging and building deep mine shafts with extensive corridors. Alluvial mining is used to mine diamonds from the river basins.
The Diamond Pipeline
The diamond pipeline refers to the production process that starts from the freshly mined rough diamond to the cut and polished brilliant stones up for retailing.
- The pipeline starts from the extraction of rough diamonds.
- Now these uncut stones are sorted into separate varieties and combinations. There may be up to 5000 combinations depending on the shape, size, color, and variety of the diamonds.
- The next step in the process is the polishing & grinding of these stones. Rough diamonds are sent to processing centers where highly skilled workers cut, grind and polish the rough stones into multi-faceted radiant and brilliant diamonds.
- The last step of the pipeline is the retailing of diamonds. These can be sold as an inset in jewelry items or as singular pieces.
The Kimberley Process
Kimberley process certifies the status of conflict-free diamonds. It is made of 81 diamond-producing nations that generate about 99.8 percent of the rough diamonds all over the world. Kimberley process closely monitors the diamond pipeline or the mine to market process. Diamonds are Kimberley certified only after confirming their conflict-free status.
Where to Buy Conflict-Free Diamonds?
To ensure that you get conflict-free diamonds, buy diamond jewelry only from reputed jewelers and retailers. Their manufacturing process from the source to the end product should be transparent and legal. Diamonds, as well as precious metals used to set them, should be traceable and not sourced from conflict-prone areas. All this information should be made available on their store or website. This information may include:
- Information about the quality of the diamonds (cut, color, clarity, and carats) used in creating jewelry items.
- A certificate of authenticity should be included with the purchase.
- Description of the production process, i.e., diamond pipeline.
- Also check if the precious metal used in making jewelry is hallmarked. It is another sign that the manufacturer is serious about the quality.
If all this information is provided by the retailer, you can be sure that you will be receiving conflict-free diamonds.
AËLRA JOAILLERIE is a reputed manufacturer and retailer of high-quality diamond jewelry. They purchase the diamonds from the source through their unique ‘mine to market process’. This allows them to maintain control over the manufacturing process, skip the middlemen to pass price advantage to customers, and buy only “Kimberley” certified diamonds that ensure their conflict-free status. They create premium and ethical diamond jewelry and provide a certificate of authenticity with every purchase. Browse this website if you want to purchase high-quality conflict-free diamond jewelry at affordable prices.